The Words of Wisdom...
Mr. Coffey’s sage and learned counsel is well recognized in the industry where he is highly regarded as an expert and scholar in the field of New York State Real Estate Law. Peter often serves as an expert witness and as outside counsel in real estate litigation matters. Peter also has an extensive practice representing attorneys in ethical matters.
- Mr. Coffey holds an AV Preeminent rating for the “Highest Level of Professional Excellence” from Martindale Hubbell, and has been selected to the Super Lawyers list. He is a recipient of the Professional Award by the New York State Bar Association, Real Property Section.
- Mr. Coffey graduated from Albany Law School of Union University and Siena College.
- Mr. Coffey is a member of the New York State Bar Association and has served in several capacities: as a member of its House of Delegates; on its Executive Committee as Vice President from the Fourth District; as a member of the Executive Committee of the Real Estate Section of the New York State Bar Association continuously since 1987, and as past-Chair of the Section; as Chair of the Bar Association’s Committee to Review Judicial Nominations; as member of the Committee on Standards of Attorney Conduct (COSAC); on its Nominating Committee for many years; on its Committee on Professional Discipline and its Committee on Attorney Professionalism.
- Mr. Coffey is a past President of the Schenectady County Bar Association where has been recognized as the Lawyer of the Year. He is the founding member of the Schenectady County Bar Association Real Estate Section and is an annual lecturer at the Annual Real Estate Seminar.
- Mr. Coffey is a Member and Sustaining Life Fellow of the American Bar Foundation, and he is a Member of the Capital District Women’s Bar Association.
- Mr. Coffey is a recipient of the New York State Bar Association Real Estate Section’s Professional Award, and the Pro Bono Service Attorney Award.
- Mr. Coffey is a Life Fellow of the New York State Bar Foundation - MaryAnn Saccomando Freedman Circle.
- Mr. Coffey is past President of the Legal Aid Society of Northeastern New York and a recipient of its 2007 Law Day Award.
- Mr. Coffey has authored numerous articles on various legal topics concentrating in the areas of Real Property and Ethics and is also a frequent lecturer on these topics.
- Upon graduation from Albany Law School, where he was a member of the Law Review, Mr. Coffey served as confidential law clerk to Supreme Court Justice Robert O. Brink.
- Lighter Note: Peter has climbed all the highest mountains in New York, Pennsylvania, and New England, including all mountains in New Hampshire over 4,800 ft. in elevation. In total, Peter has climbed over sixty mountains of 4,000 ft. or more in elevation.
- Matter of Hennel, 29 NY3d 487 (2017) – Mr. Coffey was the attorney for the successful litigant in this Court of Appeals Decision which established, for the first time in New York, the standard for the required proof of unconscionability as it applies to the statute of frauds;
- Matter of Attanasio, 159 AD3d 1180 (3rd Dept. 2018);
- Kampfer v. DaCorsi, 126 AD3d 1067 (2015);
- Johnson v. Zelanis, 113 AD3d 899 (3rd Dept. 2014);
- Voght v. Voght, 64 AD3d 1984 (3rd Dept. 2009);
- Carpenter v. Morrette, 36 AD3d 1115 (3rd Dept. 2007);
- Merrill Lynch Equity Management v. Kleinman, 246 AD2d 884 (3rd Dept. 1998).
- “Attorney Escrow Accounts – Rules, Regulations, and Related Topics”, N.Y.S. Bar Association 2001, 4th Ed. 2014 (Editor).
- “NYSBA Ethics Opinions 752, 753 and 755—Written by Traditionalists Who Wish to Live in a World That No Longer Exists”, NYS Bar Association Real Property Law Journal, Summer, 2012.
- “Attorney Professionalism Forum Question and Answer”, N.Y.S. Bar Association Journal, February, 2010;
- “Mortgage Foreclosure Sale Skullduggery”, New York State Bar Association New York Real Property Law Journal, Spring, 2004;
- “New York State Bar Association Ethics Opinion 737”, N.Y.S. Bar Real Property Law Journal, Spring, 2002;
- “The Ethical Real Property Lawyer” N.Y.S. Bar Association Real Property Law Journal, Winter 2000.
- "Recent Changes In Ethical Rules For Attorneys" Capital District Business Review October, l999;
- “Authorized Signatories on Escrow Accounts: Ethics Opinion 693 is Misplaced” New York State Bar Association New York Real Property Law Journal, Winter, 1998;
- "Successful Bidders' Rights and Remedies After The Foreclosure Sale" N.Y.S. Bar Assn. Real Property Law Section Newsletter, Fall, 1994.
- "Is Caveat Emptor still Viable?", N.Y.S. Bar Assn. Real Property Law Section Newsletter, April, 1992;
- "A Walk Through a Mortgage Foreclosure" N.Y.S. Bar Assn. General Practice Section Newsletter ONE-ON-ONE, October, 1991;
- "Fires and Foreclosures" N.Y.S. Bar Assn. Real Property Law Section Newsletter, October, 1990
- "Assault on Informed Consent" N.Y.S. Bar Journal, October 1976;
- "Surgery Without Consent" Alb. Law Rev., 1965;